Sunday 3 July 2016

Dissertation, trips and new opportunities.

Yet again it's been ages since I last posted, every time this happens I promise myself that I'll write more often but I think I'll face facts now that it's not going to happen.  It's not that I'm not interested any more, that couldn't be further from the truth.  I've bought my ticket for the ResearchEd national conference in September, had exciting talks with colleagues following CPD from Tom Sherrington and still have a list of books I want to read that is as long as my arm!  It's just that blogging isn't the first thing that I leap to do anymore.  That said I still want to keep it up, maybe I'll get more regular again one day...

There has been a lot going on of late, not least of all my dissertation.  The ideas and things seem to be coming together now, thank goodness, and I've got enough survey responses to work with from both heads of department and students. I've still got a long way to go with it, that's for sure, but things are looking up.

Last weekend I went on my fist residential trip abroad, taking 72 year 7s to France. Wow, I've never looked forward to a weekend so much as this one.  The trip was great but exhausting so I was ready for Friday night.  It was a really good first trip to go on and I have another coming up in 2 weeks time, this time with less children and a wider age range as it's the music department tour.  Paris here we come!  I'm seeing both of these as great practice as come October I'll be leading my own trip with 30 year 11s to Andalucia, Spain.

My most exciting piece of news though, is that as of September I will be Second in MFL and Curriculum Leader for Spanish.  I can't wait to get started and have loads of things that I'd like to see happen to raise the profile of languages at the school.  The great thing is that I get on really well with the Head of Department and I think we're more or less on the same wavelength with most things.  The question is just which idea to start with first...

The last thing to mention is the one that I think is probably the most important.  We have a new member of staff starting this week, she's an NQT and I'm going to be her mentor.  I'm really looking forward to the opportunity, but it's such a responsibility that I'm starting reading up already.  If we get on as well as I did with my NQT mentor then I'm sure we'll be just fine.

This post seems to have turned into a news update as opposed to a comment on any issues this time but I'm sure the things I've mentioned are each going to throw out their own issues for discussing soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment